Skip to main content

Thrills and Chills -- and Dopaminergic Spills?



Scenario: You’re listening to one of your favorite pieces.  Suddenly some cue in the music makes your heart feel like it might beat out of your chest and your skin start to tingle. Within seconds your arm hairs are standing straight up, a wave of chills runs down your spine and you are covered in goose bumps.

The first time this happened to me I think I was about 12 singing along to a hymn from the pew of my church. I thought for sure what I was feeling was the Holy Spirit coursing through my veins! Not to write off any divine experience my 12-year old self was having, but it turns out that there were some other things going on – mostly in my brain.

It’s been known for a while now that lots of human behavior is reinforced by activity in our brains that makes us feel good. For the most part these feelings of pleasure are meant to encourage us to keep doing things that tend to help our species survive, i.e. having sex or eating delicious food (although highly addictive drugs like cocaine are thought to influence similar reward systems as well). These types of behavior trigger the release of neurotransmitters like dopamine that flood areas deep within our brains. These neurotransmitters have a sort of domino effect on neuronal communication and pretty soon your entire brain is aware that you just did something pretty pleasurable.

But what about my 12-year-old self with the goose bumps?? According to research by Blood and Zatorre, my euphoric response to the music is another product of this type of reward circuitry in areas of my brain like the ventral striatum and the midbrain. This seems pretty cool to me. Listening to music doesn’t really fit into the category of “human survival skills,” right? So why does my brain give me such a strong reward when I listen to certain pieces of music?

I’m not sure if anyone knows the answer to that, but it may be the key to why people say they listen to music to de-stress or relax. The chills phenomenon is already being put into use for people with chronic pain and post-op patients who report lower levels of pain after listening to pleasurable music. Perhaps it could also be used to help addicts stave off cravings for abusive drugs.

The only problem is that not everyone experiences the music chills. Nusbaum and Silvia reported that you are more likely to get these musical goose bumps if you have an open personality type. It is also more common for people who have studied music extensively or who rate music as being a very important part of their lives to experience the phenomenon. Although there are some specific aspects of music that seem to reliably induce chills, such as unexpected harmonies or intense crescendos, the phenomenon is very individualized. While I might shiver every time I hear Beethoven’s 9th, you may get goose bumps from Sinatra. Do you have a song that you can always count on to provide thrills, chills and dopaminergic spills?


Sources and further reading:
Blood, A. J., & Zatorre, R. J. (2001). Intensely pleasurable responses to music correlate with activity in brain regions Implicated in reward and emotion. PNAS, 98(20), 11818-11823.
            DOI: 10.1073/pnas.191355898

Grewe, O., Nagel, F., Kopiez, R., & Altenmüller, E. (2005). How does music arouse “chills”? Investigating strong emotions, combining psychological, physioplogical, and psychoacoustical methods. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1060, 446-449.
DOI: 10.1196/annals.1360.041

Nusbaum, E. C., & Silvia, P. J. (2010). Shivers and timbres: personality and the experience of chills from music. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 000(00), 1-6.
DOI: 10.1177/1948550610386810

Comments

  1. I don't think you are way too excited! This tingly, excited feeling comes to me often and sometimes I seek it - I believe that we are able to do that. My song, that can always be counted on for a big response, is one by the Neapolitan singer, Roberto Murolo, "Anima e Core."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I can't think of too many Murolo fans I know apart from a Neapolitan friend in Bologna...and my mother. As to the research, I have two reactions:

    It is also more common for people who have studied music extensively ... to experience the phenomenon.

    Which is a nice retort to those who think analyzing something and understanding its elements is inimical to subjective receptivity. We do not, after all, "murder to dissect".

    And second, some of these neuroscience phrases border on the tautological. "Intensely pleasurable responses to music correlate with activity in brain regions Implicated in reward and emotion"...well, how could it be otherwise? If I had data to show that "pleasurable responses to music are not manifested in brain activity", I would have the cover of Nature to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess that "Unknown" in this case is indeed Vance Maverick's mother! A question that I had about the dopamine (I also confess that I have not read the cited articles) is this: one speaks of the "release" of dopamine. Is it lying around near the nerves waiting to be used, or does the body make it on demand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I would need to do a bit more research but I think it's a bit of both! I do know that dopamine is a derivative of the amino acid Tyrosine. Tyrosine gets modified by a few enzymes to become dopamine. I would imagine that there are areas of the brain where dopamine is stored in large quantities (maybe the areas mentioned in my post?) and probably others where it is made when levels get low.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chemically combating chemical combat

As we have witnessed all too recently, chemical warfare is a very tangible concern for many people of the world. The latest large scale attack occurred in Syria only a few months ago with the use of Sarin gas. The news from Syria makes it all the more urgent that scientists find ways to combat the use of chemical weapons. A group of engineers at UC San Diego have done just that using a new kind of structure called “micromachines”. Many chemical weapon agents used in warfare belong to a class of chemicals broadly labeled “organophosphates”. This label is given to molecules that have a generically organic part and a phosphate part. Here is the molecule sarin, with its organic and phosphate parts highlighted: Nerve gasses like sarin are dangerous because of the way the molecules interact with our nervous system. This interaction is highly dependent on the shape, or conformation of the molecule. That is, if we could somehow break up the atoms in the sarin molecule, they w

Winter is here

Frigid temperatures in Arkansas this weekend have inspired an icy topic.   If you’ve ever wondered why your lettuce wilts when it accidentally freezes in the refrigerator, or your basil dies after the first frost then this post is for you.  Contrary to what I believed and maybe what some of you do to, plant cells themselves rarely freeze. The water in between cells freezes much more readily than the cells themselves; this is the start of the plant’s problems.  Dehydration is the most common culprit for cell death at cold temperatures. It seems counter intuitive that dehydration would occur as a result of freezing water , but it makes sense when you begin to think like a plant cell. All living cells exist in a state of equilibrium with their surroundings. Ions, gases, small molecules and water are constantly moving around the plant, going in and out of cells as needed. The concentrations of these species inside and outside of the cell are carefully regulated by the plant. S